1Ls Complete MIP Internships
Twelve members of the North Carolina Bar Association’s Law Student Division participated in the 1L Summer Associate Program of the Minorities in the Profession Committee (MIP) this summer.
The Summer Associate Program provides corporate legal departments and major law firms in North Carolina with a recruiting tool through which they can interview and offer summer internship positions to 1L minority law students enrolled in North Carolina’s law schools.
“Through the MIP program, I was placed at Duke Energy in Charlotte,” said Alisha Harris, a rising second-year law student at Elon University School of Law. “During my time at Duke Energy, I have attended hearings, mediations and plant sites. I have drafted several legal memorandums concerning various legal matters. I also had the opportunity to draft a position statement to submit to the EEOC.
“I am so grateful for this opportunity and for the MIP program providing me with this opportunity.”
This year’s Summer Associate Program participants are listed below along with the law firms and organizations with which they worked this summer and their respective law schools:
- Kenya Glover (Campbell), Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP
- Alisha Harris (Elon), Duke Energy Corporation
- Kia Barrett (Elon), Fox Rothschild LLP
- Timisha Henley (Elon), GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Daniel Leake II (Campbell), Jackson Lewis P.C.
- Golzar Yazdanshenas (Wake Forest), K&L Gates LLP
- Cynthia Hernandez (Elon), Lawyers Mutual Insurance Company
- Daniel Nelson (Campbell), Local Government Federal Credit Union
- Micole Little (NCCU), Poyner Spruill LLP
- Sydney Teng (UNC), Smith, Anderson, Blount, Dorsett, Mitchell & Jernigan, LLP
- Tisha Martin (UNC), Ward and Smith, P.A.
- Raquel Gonzalez Padron (Wake Forest), Wyrick Robbins Yates & Ponton LLP
Interviews for the 2020 1L Summer Associate Program will be held early next year. For more information about this program, please contact Holly Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org.